The Perfect German Buttercream Recipe
German buttercream is a combination of pastry cream (creme patissiere), butter and flavourings. The pastry cream contributes to the buttercream colour. Because it is yellow in colour, it is unsuitable for some purposes where white icing is required. German buttercream has a richer texture than meringue-based buttercream due to the whole eggs present in the pastry cream.
- Butter, soft - 450g
- Icing Sugar, sifted - 110g
- Pastry Cream (Recipe Here) - 450g
- Cream together the butter and sugar with the paddle attachment on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Gradually add the pastry cream, mixing each addition until fully incorporated and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary.
- Cover and store under refrigeration until ready to use.
- Luke Quinton