French buttercream is made with either whole eggs or egg yolks, butter, cooked sugar syrup and flavourings. It is similar to meringue-based Italian buttercream in technique, but the egg yolks make it richer and give it a yellow colour.
- Whole Eggs - 230g
- Egg Yolks - 230g
- Sugar - 510g
- Water - 110g
- Butter, cut into medium chunks, soft - 680g
- Vanilla Extract - 10ml
- Whip the eggs and yolks with the whisk attachment on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy-bottomed saucepan and bring to a. Boi, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Continue cooking without stirring until the mixture reaches 116°C.
- Slowly pour the hot sugar syrup into the eggs while whipping on medium speed. Continue to whip until cool.
- Gradually add the butter, being each addition until incorporated and scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Blend in the vanilla.
- Cover and store under refrigeration until ready to use.