No Spread Sugar Cookies, Great for Decorating
No- Spread Sugar Cookies
We're going to start posting some recipes up on our website that some of you lot might like to try out, We'll be putting up basic recipes first and hopefully moving onto some more technical tips in the future!
I'm going to start here with a simple Sugar Cookie recipe, that's perfect if you want to make some of those decorated cookies you see all over the place, especially around holiday's like Valentine's Day.
These cookies are easy to make and this batch will do you for a good while, making 60 cookies! I actually made these with my girlfriend, i wonder if you can tell who made which ones..
I've decorated them here just with a simple Royal Icing Mix one white & one with a tiny amount of Red ProGel from Rainbow Dust, & then for extra decoration just used a mixture of our very own heart shaped sprinkles, large and small. (& maybe a chocolate bean here and there..)
Royal icing is pretty easy to work with, this was actually only my second time using it for this style of cookie and to be honest i think they look pretty good!
The recipe for these cookies are below, for the Royal Icing just mix 70ml of cold water with 500g of the Royal icing until smooth and you're good to go!
No-Spread Sugar Cookies
Makes 60 Cookies
- 455g Plain Flour
- 3g Salt
- 225g Butter, Soft
- 215g Caster Sugar
- 55g Eggs
- 45g Milk, 21c
- 1/2 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar with a paddle attachment if you're using a mixer (if not go to work with a wooden spoon!), starting on low speed & increasing to medium speed, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the eggs, milk & vanilla. Alternately add the sifted dry ingredients & egg mixture to the butter-sugar mixture in two to three additions, blending until fully incorporated after each addition.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces, wrap in cling film & refrigerate until firm enough to roll out.
- Working with one piece of dough at a time, roll out the dough to 0.3cm/1/8 inch thick.Using a 6-cm/2½-in heart cutter, cut out the cookies. Place the cookies in even rows on the prepared sheet pans. collect the scraps of dough, layering them to keep them flat to prevent over working the dough, press them together, wrap, and refrigerate until firm enough to re-roll.
- Bake at 190°C/375°F until golden around the edges, about 12 minutes. Transfer to racks and cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
- Luke Quinton